Friday, February 18, 2011

VALENTINES DAY: HIKE OR JOG?

I've always been a bit of a granola girl.  My favorite shoes are my Keens, I have a collection of rocks from various mountain tops, creek beds and rivers, my favorite smell is pine, camping out is my ideal vacation, and the second I see a mountain I wanna put on my hikin' shoes and begin to climb.  Some girls get thrills out of a new pair of heels or the designer jeans...but I get the most excitement from fresh air, organic smells, and nothing but a great big sky.

Today I was trying to decide what to do OUTSIDE..jog or hike?  We live on 14 acres...not a huge amount, but most of our land is wooded.  Jim worked very hard on cutting a trail for us to enjoy and it is one of my most favorite things to do.  It didn't take long for me to decide what I felt like doing. I felt part human/part wolf...the woods were calling my name and I could barely get out the door fast enough.

(The kids were both napping...actually, my entire family is sick except me!) So Harry and I were off...I don't know who was more excited.  The sun would be setting soon.  Although it wasn't yet dark, the moon was vivid and clear-it's journey already leading it high into the sky.

As I crossed the creek I could feel myself begin to relax as the trees welcomed me into their refuge.  We have a lot of cedar trees so hardly any snow has melted back in our woods.  In some places it reached up to my knee caps.  The snow, untouched and smooth, insulated the earth, hushing all sounds except that of my feet crunching beneath me and my breath as my heart rate rised.  Harry was using his nose to kind of 'shovel' the top layer of snow...and on occasion he would find a trail of some kind, his tail wagging; he would venture off just a bit but never had me out of his sight.  He's a good dog, my Harry.  We've had him 10 years now and are seeing his signs of aging.  But not now. Not here.  Being in our woods is like a fountain of youth for both he and I.  If I had a tail, it too, would be wagging. As we walked, I tried to notice every detail of this winter wonderland.  I heard no birds chirping, except for an owl way off in the distance.  And to my utter delight, heard another owl on the opposite side of the woods answering back.  Harry would hear them and freeze in his tracks, not moving a muscle as if to say, "Shhhhh! LISTEN!" to which I would stop and follow his lead.  Neither of us were disappointed in our discoveries.  A large tree trunk had bright green moss growing up out of the snow...it's carpet looked soft and velvety and I couldn't help but take my hand out of my pocket and feel it. I smiled at my foolishness of bending over and then sniffing it...but I couldn't help myself!  My nose had its mind made up and took a deep breath in, only to be a tad disappointed.  From fresh deer tracks to turkey feathers, our love for the fresh air made every bend in the path a new adventure; nature just begging us to come in and enjoy all she has to offer.  As we worked our way along the creek, I was delighted to see little raccoon tracks.  They have the cutest little feet! I was looking up in the tree tops hoping to catch a glimpse of my masked bandit friend, but had no such luck. The snow was well over the tops of my boots and it had nestled in around my feet...the sting on my toes made me feel alive and I had the sudden urge to run.  Not run for excercise, not run for any sense of urgency, but to run for run's sake.  To run because I can. To run just to run. So I did. Well, as best I could in knee deep snow! Harry was giddy and prancing and I was laughing at him as he almost knocked me over when all 90 lbs of him ungracefully zoomed past me.

At some point on the trek I noticed Harry intently eating something off the trail...so my camera and I made it over to where he was...only to discover...HE WAS EATING COYOTE SCAT.  Nice, Harry.  Oh well, I might as well take a picture anyway.  It's all part of the story, right?  We had such a delightful time, just me and my dog.  It was quiet.  Peaceful. Unhurried. Worshipful.  As I made my way back I looked up again to see a bright moon against an ever darkening night sky...the sun was now unseen beyond the horizon although it's light still gave life to the clouds.  My toes were begining to feel numb and I thought to myself, "What would my African friends think of all this snow!"  I delighted in telling all of them while I was there that one could set out a glass of water outside and it would turn to ice.  Their eyes would always reveal a look of surprise and astonishment.  I sighed as the heavy feeling of sadness started to weigh upon my spirit and I started to pray.  And praise. As I came out of the woods and into our field I looked up towards our home and was hit w/ the most amazing moment of grace and gratitude, of love without limits.  The light from the windows were like long outstretched arms, the front door like the entrance to my own heart.  My pace quickened as I got so very excited thinking about who was inside those warm walls.  When I walked up our porch stairs I heard the door open and the love of my life was waiting for me...and an almost 1 year old boy whose mouth was open wide in the best look of "YIPEE! My Momma's here!"

"Did you have fun?" Jim asked with a smile.  "Oh Yes!" I replied and started telling him about all our discoveries and was showing him the pictures I took. And there we were. The 2 of us...not doing anything spectacular...talking about my walk in the woods and he, genuinely excited for me...was attentive as I shared w/ him every detail...and with Sam Watson zipping around our feet and Charlee snoozing cozily in her bed, I looked at my man and fell in love all over again.




I love my fam!

No comments:

Post a Comment