Friday, February 18, 2011

GHANA BOUND PART 1B

Can I say SENSORY OVERLOAD?  I'm so tired i can barely type this...didn't sleep well on the plane but not complaining.  We are actually getting ready for bed since we have to be up at 4am to catch a very early flight.  My mom just read Psalms 30 and we were giggling because in verse 5 it says, "Joy will come in the morning".  Oh yes, it will!

So...let me tell you a little about our journey thus far...the good, the bad, and the ugly.  It started off a little shaky when I just happened to peek in my mom's carryon right before going thrugh security and she had packed NOTHING RIGHT.  (you know...all the liquids in a little ziplock, etc)  I was SO mad especially after I had specifically asked her right before we left her house.  She is such a goof.  So yes, right there in the KC airport we had our first mother/daughter "tiff".  LOL!  Gotta love it.  THEN some pilot was TOTALLY shmoozing my mom...it ws actually quite hilarious.  She asked him if he was our pilot and he told her he was her PERSONAL pilot!!!!  That one thing alone kept us laughing through most of the night.  I had to report suspicious activity to airport security in Chicago and also chased down a big man who I could have SWORN was Reuban Studdard...but it wasn't him.  Bummer!

OK...so now to the good stuff.  AFRICA.  As I stood in line for the plane from Wash DC to Accra I kept saying to everyone around me, "We're goin' to AFRICA!"  Many of them were Ghanians and I loved them.  They are very warm and friendly...and they laugh at me and anyone knows that if I have an audience I'l just keep goin'!

When we landed this morning...I mean, as soon as those wheels hit the pavement, I clapped and cheered.  and cried.  openly.  and worshipped.  Openly.  When we stepped off the plane we were on African soil.  I threw my arms up in the air and danced...white arms and all.  I kissed the ground and worshipped...and yes, everyone around me thought I was totally insane.  But I didn't care.  We got through customs PERFECTLY...EFFORTLESSLY...DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO OPEN ONE SINGLE BAG.


Today was a beautiful day spent in Accra.  As I mentioned earlier I"m a bit on overload right now...and struggling from jet lag...so at this time I'm not going to be detailed so i can get to sleep.  But thank you for praying for us.  We've talked to Wendy several times today.  especially when I went into a tiny little run down office w/ some very shady characters and was told it was a bank...LOL!  I had to convert all my currency to Ghana Cedi's and that was the only time I was nervous...walking into that place...w/ a load of cash...as a single woman...you get the point.  BUT it was totally fine.  I"m exhausted.  More coming soon...Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment