Friday, February 18, 2011

GHANA BOUND: PART 5

Today is Sunday.  This morning I read, “In the midst of your temple, O God, we meditate on your unfailing love”. (Ps 48) What an appropriate verse to start off my day as we prepared to go to church.  I could hardly wait to get there!  Wendy had warned me that it would be loud, as Ghanaians love cranking up their speakers.  Boy! Was she ever right!  What a total crack up!  But you know what?  I LOVED every second of it.  Oh how I wish all of you could have sat in the chair next to me (actually…we weren’t sitting but rather standing and dancing!).  I KNEW I would love this. They sing from the tips of the toes.  Yes, to the trained musicians ear it was off-key, the instruments were not in tune, they don’t sing w/ proper vocal technique and you know what?  IT WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL EXPRESSION OF WORSHIP I’VE EVER EXPERIENCED.  A group of women started dancing up in the very front.  Let me describe to you what they do.  They kind of shuffle their feet as they go around in a circle.  They shake their hinder-binders and wave their arms.  It’s so dang cute!  Of course I couldn’t contain myself and jumped right in w/ them and let loose.  I think I can officially say this is the very first time I’ve ever shaked my butt for all to see as an expression of worship!  Row by row people danced their way to the front and gave their tithe into a basket.  This goes against what we are taught in America…we very discreetly fold our checks as the plate is passed by us.  Not in Africa!  We dance our way to the “plate” and w/ the most joy in our hearts give all we have to the Lord.

Women sit on one side of the church and the men on the other.  Everyone is dressed in their Sunday best.  There are babies, toddlers and children everywhere.  The children from the orphanage were all sitting behind us and by the end of the service I had 2 on my lap.  The entire service they stroked my arm, almost as if they thought my “whiteness” would rub off.  They liked pointing at all my freckles, feeling my hair, and pushing every button on my stopwatch.

My sister had told the Pastor that I taught music and love to sing resulting in an invitation for me to sing for the congregation.  I chose to do a little bit of “Mighty to Save” and taught all of them the part that goes, “Shine your light and let the whole world see, we’re singin’ for the glory of the risen King”.  They were so very responsive and I could tell they really enjoyed it.  Right in the middle of it a woman came forward and placed a coin on my forehead which took me a little by surprise.  I later found out that meant approval or agreement.  The pastor spoke on having faith as a mustard seed, not to fear, and to let your light shine.  It was very good.

After church “Auntie Lulu” (what everyone calls me here) was invited by Carter and Aiden’s friends to play some football (soccer).  I really enjoy doing this.  This is a great way to get to know their personalities and they really love it when you play w/ them.  The girls from the orphanage also came over and we cut all of their hair for tomorrow they start their first day of school!  The girls like to wear their hair very short.  We had also arranged for one of Carters friends, Ganu, to come down for it was his birthday.  Carter made an angel food cake so after playing some soccer and basketball we had a big party.  (Let me just add, while these kids run circles around me when playing soccer, they are absolutely TERRIBLE at basketball.)  These kids are so dang cute.  They are SO polite.

Carter, Aiden and Sukanya had all been given 3 baby chickens as a gift.  Unfortunately some predator birds killed 2 of them so one of the boys grabbed a sling-shot and was bound and determined to kill them.  I saw him walking around looking up in the trees and I offered him my polarized sunglasses to wear and he was so cute when he put them on and saw how much easier it was to look up in the sky.  He looked like a Hollywood star walking around w/ my shades and his sling-shot.  It just tickled me.

In just a bit we go to Baba’s homestead.  I am very excited.  I will write upon my return…Much love, Mist

No comments:

Post a Comment