Friday, February 18, 2011

JAX: PART 1

st when I thought it couldn't get any better...
I'm not gonna lie...yesterday was long and not so easy.  Sam Watson is a hoot...he is SO BUSY.  We flew during both of their nap times, yada yada yada...I know many of you reading this totally "get it".  I was never so happy to see our rental van.  It took quite some time to get it, load everything, carseats in, etc...FINALLY!  My kids were falling asleep before we even left the lot.  I was in the very back and told Jim it sounded like a window was open.  I quickly realized a latch on one of the windows was not just broken, it was completely gone...so the window was just flapping around.  Long story short...we had to go BACK to the car rental, wait for ANOTHER van, unload, wake up kids, etc...needless to say, I was laughing just to keep from crying.  I'm still very VERY jet-lagged.  This morning I woke up at 3am WIDE AWAKE...so I think tonight I need to take a sleep aid. (thanks, Cheslee)

BUT...this has been THE MOST AWESOME TRIP ALREADY!!!!

We are staying at Mark and Cathy McGaughey's home.  Mark is a Pastor here in JAX and Cathy is the Mission's Director at the church.  THEY ARE AWESOME.  Their home is so inviting and we have completely TAKEN OVER.  LOL!  Those of you know how it is w/ kids...toys everywhere, food all over the counter, suitcases everywhere...I'm so very thankful for them.  We met through a mutual friend (Amy Hayward).  The McGaughey's used to go to KCBT and they know Phil Hopper.  In fact, Phil is staying in their home in Feb for a men's conference!  Small world, huh?

I got up around 7am to shower and get ready.  Unfortunately I had left all my toilletries in my Dad's suitcase...and he is staying in a nearby hotel...so when I heard Cathy "stirring" in the kitchen I went out w/ dripping wet hair to ask her for a brush to borrow.  As soon as she saw me she had a HUGE smile on her face and said, "WE'RE GONNA BE ON TV!"  She had emailed every news station late last night and had 1 local station call this morning wanting to know more details.  I threw my arms up and said, "Oh my goodness! This is so wonderful!" and then I immediately started bawling my eyes out.  I just can't believe how this precious little boy is proclaiming the name of Jesus.  As I sit here journaling it all, I feel so inadequate in how to express all the emotions we are experiencing.

At 9am we all loaded up the car to go to the airport.  I had Charlee wear the dress Laadi (Clement's mom) had made...she looked like a little African princess.  Yes, I Misty Terrell, actually said my daughter looked like a princess.  (there's a first for everything, right?  Those who know me well will understand this joke) The weather is very rainy and in the 60's today...but that did not put any damper on any of us.  We could hardly wait!

We stood as close to the gates as we could.  I was looking down the hallway...trying to get the first peek of that curly hair.  I know I just saw her a few days ago, but this was a new "first" in many ways.  She has not seen Sam since he was just barely born.  I was excited for her to see how much Charlee's hair has grown and how much she talks.  I couldn't wait for Charlee and Sam to interact w/ Clement.  And I couldn't wait to treat my sister to a Dr. Pepper.

As they came down the hall I yelled, "THERE THEY ARE!!!!!!!"  I ran to meet them...and you know the rest.  Tears, hugs, the whole 9 yards.  Sam LOVES my sister.  He loves everyone, but I can tell he understands that Aunt DeeDee is EXTRA special.  Charlee was hiding in my jeans...not quite sure...but by the time we were in baggage claim she was already playing and interacting w/ Clement.  The news anchor was there and filmed it all and interviewed Baba and then came to the house and interviewed my sister and got more film footage of Clement/Baba.  Wendy thought she did a horrible job and that she looked terrible...no make up, old clothes on, but I let her wear my sweater and told her to throw on some lip gloss...she looked BEAUTIFUL!  I was so proud of her.

Right now as I type this I see Charlee and Clement teasing one another.  Clement is "getting Charlee" w/ a toy and she is giggling and running from him.  I am hoping they can bathe together in a bit but Clement gets very VERY tired this time of day and I'm not sure how he'll do in a tub.  He's used to bathing w/ a bucket...so we'll see.  (I'll journal tomorrow and tell you how it goes. :)

Oh my, now I have to share w/ you the drive from the airport to....(excuse me for a second while I go tell Charlee she can NOT play w/ the fine china on the sofa table)...Ok, all is well.  What was I saying?  Oh yes, the drive from the airport to the house.  Baba was SO FUN to video.  His eyes, his face, his smile...lots of questions.  He couldn't believe how different it all was.  The cars are so clean, the streets are so clean, there is no over-crowding, the roofs look very different, the homes are so large, the bridge we are driving on is amazing, how do we have electricity, on and on it went. Clement was sitting in Baba's lap (don't tell the JAX police) because Clement does NOT like straps.  He's never been strapped in his life until this trip.  So we just had him sit in Baba's lap and he was out like a light.

Jim took Baba to WAL-MART today.  Jim is really REALLY enjoying this experience and I'm so very glad he is here w/ me.  I am now "interviewing" Jim since he refuses to get his OWN facebook...LOL...so here is what he said it was like.  "Baba wanted to know who owns WalMart, who owned the schools on the way to WalMart.  Inside he wanted to know where all the stuff came from.  He was constantly looking around, completely blown away.  He wants a picture of himself in the produce section. He kept poking the banana's and saying how FRESH everything was.  The frozen food section was almost beyond comprehension for him.  He felt the food in it and jumped back w/ surprise!  Jim took him to the shoe section and had Baba try on some sneakers.  Baba started to try putting on his shoe in the middle of the aisle and Jim had to show him the little stool to sit on, how to unlace the shoes, how to feel where your big toe is to see if they fit properly, etc.  Baba was so very excited to have those new shoes and kept thanking Jim over and over and over again.  As they left he asked Jim, where was the money to buy it all? (Jim used our debit card)  So Jim had to explain how the card takes money right out of our account at the bank.

It's been like this all day long...explaining, answering all his questions, etc.  He couldn't believe the dishwasher.  He is amazed at the TV.  The high-chair.  EVERYTHING.  I am excited for him to see himself on the News tonight.  I promise to post a link so you can watch it was well.  I know all of you will want to see that.  I wish my mom could be here to experience this w/ us...but she is making it much easier for my sister to be here.  We've contacted the doctor and are waiting to hear back from him.  Tomorrow Wendy is getting a haircut/hi-lite and an eyebrow wax.  She is very excited. :)

I will write more tomorrow...I have to get off and be a good parent.  Baba is napping, Clement is playing...all is well.  God is good.  He is faithful. He still moves mountains...and in this case I'd say He moved the entire Swiss Alps.  I love you all.

Misty

PS:  I was just proof reading my note and Cathy yelled out, "WE'RE ON TV!"  So I have to go...we have the TV on and we're about to see Clement's story.  Is this not amazing?  seriously!

PSS:  Wendy asked Portia (Clement's sister) what she wanted her to bring back.  An apple.  Ok, that is convicting.

PSSS:  Wendy said Laadi was very VERY TEARFUL yesterday morning.  Please pray for her?  Let's pray Is. 26:3 over her...what I asked you to pray over me.  "You will keep Laadi in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee, because she trusts in thee."

No comments:

Post a Comment