Friday, February 18, 2011

GHANA BOUND: PART 10

The guest house has completley emptied as people leave to explore during the day.  I just got back from a 2 hour walk around the city.  Why didn't I do this earlier?  Exploring the city by bus or taxi is not NEAR as exciting as exploring by foot.  Since I still have 4 more hours to kill, I think I will drink a bottle of Coke and head out once more, only this time I will go the other direction!  I met so many wonderful people...most of them street vendors.  I had my camera and was taking lots of pictures.  I passed by a young man, probably a teenager, who was sitting at an intersection w/ barely any clothes;  he smelled of urine and sweat and was very dirty. He was trying to peel an orange.   It was more than obvious that he was homeless.  I could see every bone in his body as he was very thin.  I'm not going to lie that the first time I passed by him I did not make eye contact w/ him.  On my return I had to pass him again, and this time I smiled at him as I passed and said, "hello".  I kept on walking.  And I felt so helpless but also uncomfortable.  What do I say to him?  How do I share the love of Jesus with him?  I turned around and went back to him.  I asked him if he needed something to eat and he nodded yes.

I opened up my pack and offered him my apple, for that was all I had, and went on my way.

Now I sit here, back in the comforts of the guesthouse and all I can think about is him, and I am convicted as I type this.  I know what I need to do.  I need to go back to him.   Faith in action, yes?  This is what it is all about.  When I return I will tell you how it went.  If you read this in the next hour, please pray for him...the young man who sits day after day w/ nothing...whose eyes look as empty as his stomach...yes, he is nameless to you now but God knows.  Pray that I can communicate the love of Jesus w/ him.  I will look forward to sharing his name w/ you.

Living w/ purpose, Mist

No comments:

Post a Comment