Friday, February 18, 2011

JAX: PART 6

Is today really Saturday?  My LAST DAY IN JAX?  Today was a wonderful day...special time spent w/ my sister.  It started early...we were up and at 'em before 7am.  Stopped at Starbucks to get a White Choc Mocha and head out to the hospital.  We took a little detour on the way which resulted in seeing MUCH of JAX. (ok, we were a little lost but nothing the GPS can't figure out!)  We didn't have a care in the world, just us 2, not in any hurry, just enjoying chatting about this and that, driving by the zoo, seeing a Carnival cruise ship in the bay, etc.

When we arrived at the hospital and headed back to room 320, Baba was fast asleep in the recliner and Clement was also asleep.  This was a good thing indeed.  Baba has not slept in 3 days.  So Sister and I decided to take a trip to a nearby WalMart to get a few things.  She was craving chips and salsa and brownies.  So I got all the ingredients to make my favorite salsa and she bought her Ghiradelli box of brownies. She was like a girl in a candy store! I've never heard anyone scream over brocolli the way she did.  When we were in the checkout line we met an African American-who was stinkin' adorable-and she told us she had many Ghanain friends.  So Wend got her number.  Funny, huh?

When we got back and stepped into the ICU waiting room, there was Baba, looking fairly refreshed and happy to greet us.  Wendy decided to stay w/ Clement while myself and Baba checked in at the Ronald McDonald house so we could drop off all of his luggage and he could take a much needed shower.  When we got all his suitcases inside, I had to show him how to open/close the blinds as well as how to use a shower properly.  (I think I had mentioned in an earlier post that Jim had heard him taking a shower and he was turning the water off and on about 20 times.)  He was very surprised when I told him he could leave the shower running until he was finished and THEN turn it off.  I sat out in the hallway waiting for him and was tickled that he was taking his sweet time...I think that hot shower was calling his name!  When he stepped out he was wearing some black pants, a plaid shirt and a sweater vest that someone had donated.  (and his new sneakers from Jim)  On our way out he was sure to show me all around the house...it is VERY nice.  On our way out I saw some hand made stocking caps on the counter and asked how much they cost and found out they were all donated and Baba could take his pick.  (she told me she could look and see if there were more 'masculine' colors but I told her no worries...Ghanains don't care pink from blue)  Sure enough, he chose the turquoise blue w/ pink.  He was THRILLED.  When we got back to the hospital, I drove to the top of the parking garage.  It had a great view of the city and the life flight helicopter.  Baba wanted me to take lots of pictures.  At some point I told him he my "brothuh from anothuh mothuh" and we were cracking up.  My sister of course, couldn't believe I taught him that and swears we are corrupting him.

Clement had a fairly good day.  He is coughing some and it sounds awful...lots of fluid in his lungs.  He vomited quite a bit while we were there, his bowels are still "asleep" from being under, he still has swelling around his heart, etc.  These things are all normal but makes him not feel so great.  I've been meaning to tell you that a few days ago, Wendy told me to read Ps 57 and pray it over Clement.  I MUST share this passage w/ you...

1 Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy!
      I look to you for protection.
   I will hide beneath the shadow of your wings
      until the danger passes by.
 2 I cry out to God Most High,[a]
      to God who will fulfill his purpose for me.
 3 He will send help from heaven to rescue me,
      disgracing those who hound me.
     My God will send forth his unfailing love and faithfulness.

God WILL fulfill His purpose in Clement.  He still has a long road ahead.  Baba and Laadi will also have some adjustments.  Their boy is going to be totally different.  They NEVER said "NO" to Clement b/c if he cried he would start having difficulty breathing, so they, like any parent would do, have done their very best to keep him ALIVE.  That being said, Clement can be a bit ornery at times.  The nurses said that yesterday he "was a pill".  But if he ain't the cutest little pill ya ever did see????

He is a very VERY affectionate child.  He LOVES human contact.  Holding hands, hugging, kissing, etc.  "Momma Wendy" taught him how to blow kisses and then catch them.  It's so darn cute.  Today we got the biggest kick out of him.  Wendy would rub his foot and then when she stopped he'd take his toes and "tap" her hand so she would start rubbing it again.  I got it on video and will post it when I get home.

As time neared for me to leave, I felt a pit in my stomach.  Clement was asleep, which was fine.  I so wanted to scoop him up and squeeze him to death...I truly LOVE this precious child of God.  I don't know how to convey in a blog what I feel in my heart for him...for Baba and Laadi...it's the strangest thing.  As I looked down on him with tubes coming out every which way, his little chest heaving up and down, his scar still "fresh" right down the middle of his chest, I just prayed Ps 57 over him...finishing w/ "God will send forth His unfailing love and faithfulness."  I couldn't help but think, "Will I ever see you again?" and yet I know I will.  Maybe not on this side of heaven, but I"m comforted to know that no matter what, WE WILL meet again.  But I went ahead and let the tears fall.  I saw one drop on the blanket right next to his hand.  I looked closely at his toes...he has the cutest feet.  I rubbed his forehead, just like I do to my own children when they are sleepy.  Wendy came along beside me and gave me a sideways squeeze but said nothing.

Saying goodbye to Baba was...NOT FUN.  I was bawling my eyes out.  I know, I know...I think I've said that phrase at least a million times in the last month, but hey, it is what it is.  Baba hugged me hard and kept saying, "Thank you, Auntie!" but I told him to stop thanking me...that I was the one who was forever grateful...that he and his family have forever changed me.  When I pulled away he had tears in my eyes.  I didn't prolong it as it was painful enough, so I walked away and got on the elevator.  As the doors closed I saw him walking back towards the waiting area and every part of me wanted to throw my foot in between those door to make them pop back open again!  It is very hard for me to leave not getting to see Clement run.  I just wanna see that boy run, for crying out loud!!!!  And I wanna see Baba and Laadi's smiles as they watch him do so.  Ya know?

Wendy and I returned to our "home away from home" and not long afterwards Jim got to go say his goodbye as well.  I told him on his way out the door, "You HAVE to tell Baba that Auntie Lulu wants his autograph!"  When Jim got home I was tickled to see that Baba had signed Jim's forearm.  Jim said he got a kick outta that.

So now, the house is very quiet.  I"m the only one still up.  I'm trying not to think about saying goodbye to my sister tomorrow.  I just can't go there quite yet.

Remember I told you that we prayed Ps 57 over Clement?  Well, let me just leave you w/ the last part of that chapter, and you will see for yourself why it is so fitting.  Good night, all.

7 My heart is confident in you, O God;
      my heart is confident.
      No wonder I can sing your praises!
 8 Wake up, my heart!
      Wake up, O lyre and harp!
      I will wake the dawn with my song.
 9 I will thank you, Lord, among all the people.
      I will sing your praises among the nations.
 10 For your unfailing love is as high as the heavens.
      Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.

 11 Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens.
      May your glory shine over all the earth.



No comments:

Post a Comment