Friday, February 18, 2011

JAX: PART 5

Good Morning to all!  Yesterday was CRAZY!!!!  But OH THE BEST CRAZY EVER!!!  I'm so sorry for not updating as well as many of you would have liked...it's very hard to find time for me to sit w/o interruptions since I have 2 babies to devote all my love and attention to.  (Jim is here but he went out w/ our host, Mark, kayaking yesterday so I was by myself...hence the reason why I wasn't able to journal/update)

Ok...sit back and enjoy reading this because it is OH SO GOOD.  I will try my very best to get all the details/medical terms correctly...Wendy of course, is much better at explaining things but I'll do my best.

The surgery was scheduled for 11am.  (he didn't actually go back until 11:35) As you know, many MANY of us were praying for the doctors and nurses as well.  The surgeon had a TERRIBLE day the day before...w/ Clement but also w/ his other patients...so I'm so glad many of us covered him in prayer.  The team of nurses and doc's came in, introduced themselves, last minute stuff, and Wendy met the OR nurse, Lori.  Immediately Wendy loved her.  She was warm and friendly and Wendy just started telling her how we've been praying specifically for HER; that God ORDAINED HER TO BE CLEMENT'S NURSE, that she was a SPECIFIC ANSWER TO OUR PRAYERS and that no one else was more perfect for this task than she was.  GUESS WHAT?  She told Wendy she is a BELIEVER!!!!  You don't know how much this meant...well then again, maybe you do.  Wendy said all the doctors could hear their entire conversation and their eyes were as big as saucers, for I'm sure they've never seen such a scene unfold right before a very VERY serious surgery...REJOICING ALREADY.  Then, Lori did something totally not considered "politically correct"...she asked if all of them could pray before heading into surgery.  Wendy said she just grabbed both doctors hands w/o them able to respond and they had a very powerful time of petition before a Holy, perfect God.  The doctors didn't know what to think! This was a very brave act on Lori's behalf.  After that, Wendy said her butterflies were totally gone, her thoughts were fixed where they needed to be, and she felt very confident.  I'm not sure how Baba felt at this point.  But I'm sure he felt what any parent would feel.  Here is what the doctor told them to expect:

First, he told them that it would be a very "stormy day".  (exact words) He was mostly concerned w/ putting in the arterial lines (sorry if I misspell things) and some kind of bypass they do after that.  He told Wendy that putting in the lines would take an hour and a half.  It is a very critical part of the surgery and it's the first thing they do.

Lori, the nurse, told Wendy that they were all amazed in the OR that it only took 15 mintues...a smooth as butter.

During the bypass...and I apologize that i can't tell you exactly what they did, but I think the concern was that his oxygen levels would crash.  The day before surgery it got as low as 2%.  Yes, I said 2%.  The surgeon was nervous going into this surgery...he knew the risk that Clement could die right there on the table.  But God has another plan for this child.  Clement did AWESOME...no problems whatsoever.

During the surgery Wendy tried to keep Baba busy.  They walked to the Ronald McDonald house where he will be staying now until he leaves.  It is very VERY nice.  Baba will be very comfortable there.  He enjoyed the walk, looking at all the cranes, the river, etc.  I think all of us were truly experiencing the "peace that passes all understanding".

The surgeon (before surgery) told them it would take about 6 hours.  So I went to the hospital around 5pm w/ 2 my best friends who drove up from Orlando.  On our way I called my sister to let her know we were almost there and she told me THAT CLEMENT WAS OUT OF SURGERY.  6 HOURS??? NOPE!  The surgery took 3 hours.

Upon my arrival, my own heart was pounding w/ excitement as we got on the elevator up to the 3rd floor.  I didn't know what to expect...would I be able to see Clement? How was Baba doing? Is Clement doing ok? etc...

I was chatting w/ some people in the ICU waiting room when I felt someone touch my arm and I turned around and there was my sister...and we just grabbed each other and sobbed.  and sobbed.  and laughed.  It was very surreal...this journey...all for this very moment...Wendy just looked at me, her eyes were sparkling and tears streaming and just said, "He's doing SO GREAT!"

I asked Wendy how Baba was and if it would be OK for me to go back and see him.  She said yes.  As I went around the corner, my mind was racing...what would greet me just beyond those glass doors of room 320?  When I walked through the door and saw little Clement, hooked up to all the tubes, his little body as still as can be, Baba leaning over him, his hand resting on Clement's forehead, the nurse busy adjusting everything, writing stuff down, etc...all I could do was just bawl my eyes out.  Baba came to me and gave me the biggest hug...he was crying...but it was tears of complete JOY.  I just told Baba over and over how PROUD I was of him...that he is a WONDERFUL father...and I said other stuff, too...but I doubt he understood a word of it since I was crying so hard.  Baba was HILARIOUS last night.  He was like a woman announcing she is pregnant...he was GLOWING.  GIDDY.  He told me he was a new man.  (I actually interviewed him right then and there and will post the video later.)  He wants Wendy and I to take pictures of EVERYTHING.  the nurses, the visitors, the food they bring to him, Clement, etc.  I've never seen him like this before.  He was on a major adrenaline rush.  He told me that a man in the waiting room recognized him from seeing him on TV and Baba LOVED that.  I told him people would start asking for his autograph (and then had to explain what that meant).  Last night was just a night of celebration...although Clement is still not out of the clear, he is really doing great.

Baba hasn't left Clement's side.  So last night he didn't sleep a wink.  Pray he gets some rest today? I think he feels like he can rest when my sister is there...so I'm hoping at some point today he'll rest.

The kids and I are hanging out at the house and will get up there at some point.  The report from her this morning is that he is having some blood pressure issues (normal) and irregular heartbeats (normal) so he's on some med's and a heart pacer until things get better.  They are going to try and wean him off oxygen so that he will gradually start breathing on his own.  (BTW...i took a picture of his monitor that said his oxygen level was at 100%!!)

So keep those prayers coming my friends.  Clement is still in ICU...he has a long road of recovery before him...but WOW...isn't this just the most wonderful thing????

Love to you all, Mist

No comments:

Post a Comment