Saturday, February 19, 2011

DEAR SAM, You're ONE.

Dear Sam Watson,


You're almost here!  Super Mom is ready!


We were so excited!


Charlotte checks out her new brother for the first time


HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

The day you were born, 1 year ago TODAY, the doctor lifted you high in the air and said, "It's a BOY!" I laughed hysterically and could hear you screaming, making your arrival known to everyone else in the hospital.   Your Daddy said you looked just like Great Grandpa Bud...but don't worry...he said that about your sister, too!  When they finally put you in my arms I was a bit worried...I was used to having a little GIRL.  And from that first moment, I KNEW you were going to PLOW your way through life.  And boy, have you! 

You are my "ZING"! My "ZAP!" My "Kuh-CHOW!" While your sister is a ray of sunbeam on a warm spring day, you are the thunder and lightening on a summer's eve.  While she is a colorful wildflower bending in the breeze, you are the honey bee zipping around enjoying the sun on your wings.  Charlee is a chocolate cupcake w/ sprinkles, but you are an extra-large slushi that gives me a brain freeze! Put you 2 together, and I've got everything I could ever hope for.

Today I want to remind you who you are named after.  Your father and I prayerfully picked out your name.  To us, names should MEAN something.  Which is why both you AND your sister are named after people we love, people who love God.  Your middle name, "Watson", comes from my Great Grandpa.  (Your GREAT GREAT) Nana D, Aunt DeeDee and I lived with him during a very sad time in my family.  He ADORED God, had the most beautiful whistle, bright blue eyes, and a heart of gold.  He also loved to go fishing and would have loved to take you out on his little boat.  Your first name, Samuel, comes from your Daddy's Uncle.  Uncle Sam is mischievous and playful! He is JOLLY, fills up a room w/ his personality, loves people, loyal to his family and God, but at the same time he is selfless and gentle spirited.  I cannot think of 2 better people to name you after.  Your name is of Hebrew origin, which of course has great meaning to us, and means "God heard." 


Right now as I am typing this, you are in your "roller skates".  (your excersaucer on wheels) Your blonde hair is sticking up right down the middle of your head as usual, and you have your favorite owl blanket in your hand, who we lovingly call 'Hoo Hoo'.  You have on your diaper, no pants, no socks, and a pajama shirt w/ a red train printed on the front.  That seems extremely appropriate because YOU, my son, ARE A LOCOMOTIVE!  As your momma, I have enjoyed the way you've 'chugged' through your first year.  You love life. You love people. You embrace change. You have no fear of strangers. You love to tease your sister. What a joy you are to me! I think I tell you every single day, "I LOVE bein' your momma!"  Our first year together. I just can't believe it. Oh man...you were a PILL the first couple of months.  Do you know, dear son, that you made me break out in hives at the drop of a pen?  One day I called my doctor...you were about 6 weeks old...and I was hyperventilating on the phone and said, "Doc! I'm in hives from head to toe because I can't find bread in the pantry! Do you do drugs for crazy lady syndrome???"  Since the day I had you, you have rocked my world.  But you know this already, yes?  After all, every night when I put you to bed I tell you, "You rock my world." Yesterday you FINALLY said my name.  I was walking upstairs with your sister, and left you behind just for a minute and you did NOT want us to leave without you.  You were looking up at us, crying and kept saying over and over, 'Momma! Momma!"  This momma could barely get to you fast enough! How many times have we been sitting on the floor together and you pull up on me and give me the biggest, most slobbery kiss...it's the best thing EVER!

Your Daddy told me he thought you said his name a couple of days ago.  You are signing "all done" and "more" and get very vocal whenever you want me to know something.  You and your owl blanket are inseparable.  When you are tired, you feel around the edges of it until you locate the tag, then pull it in towards your face and stick your thumb in your mouth.  The other night I had the monitor on our nightstand and your Daddy and I heard this "squeaky" sound.  We couldn't figure out what it was...and then suddenly realized it was YOU sucking that thumb!  We were giggling at you.

You've started showing a HUGE interest in all kinds of balls.  Daddy was thrilled when I told him you tried climbing the stairs today to get to a baseball.

Your favorite activity as a 1 year old would have to be your excersaucer.  You are nothing short of HILARIOUS in it.  The second we put you in it you start to RUN.  I'm not kidding, you RUN and RAM into EVERYTHING.  If I'm cooking in the kitchen, I literally WEAR MY SNOW BOOTS BECAUSE OF YOU! If I don't, I'll get bruises and scrapes on my feet.  You laugh and think you are the coolest kid around.  We've had to discipline you quite a lot in it, actually.  Especially in your dealings w/ Harry.  For some reason, he always seems to be your favorite "target".  I always sing the song, "I gotta brand new pair of rollerskates" so that is why for your cake we did a rollerskate.  It completely sums you up, son.  You are a mover and shaker. I can already foresee God using you as a very POSITIVE influence in people's lives. You already do.  The other day I had to take you and your sister to Urgent Care.  Right next to the check in counter there was an elderly woman.  She was talking to Charlee, but Charlee was totally freaked out, her head burrowed into my legs.  But you literally LUNGED out of my arms to that woman...so I passed you off to her and YOU MADE HER DAY.  It was like you KNEW how badly she needed the company.  It was so sweet.  I hope you never change.  Always love people, no matter the age or color...love them how Christ would.  But this is something that I think will come naturally to you. 

You currently have 6 teeth.  I love how your bottom 2 teeth are big enough now to notice when you smile.  Your eyes...blue as your Daddy's...WOW!  He's gotten a LOT of free food and extra customer service because of those eyes...and I think you are gonna be exactly the same.


I'm so very excited to see the little man you are going to become.  I pray for you every day...for you to find Jesus at a young age, for your protection, for your purity, for your future spouse, and for God to give me wisdom with you, my little wild man!  Thank you for the best and most challenging year yet as a momma.  You really do "Rock My World".

I love you deep/wide/everything between...Your Momma

1 comment: