Saturday, April 2, 2011

Fresh Asparagus Salad or PB&J?

Date night.  Just me and my man.  It's been a loooooong time comin', baby.  All week I've been looking forward to it.  Should we make reservations somewhere and get all dolled up?  Or go a little more casual w/ a relaxed atmosphere?  Saturday couldn't get here fast enough!

Yesterday I finally decided on "the place" for us to go...in Overland Park, KS...great food, relaxed atmosphere where Jim could wear his jeans and boots and get away w/ it...just our style.  Or was it?  Cuz today came and as the weather continued to get better and better all I could think about was how much I wanted to be outside!

When Jim walked in the door (he had to work today) I asked him if he would be terribly disappointed if we changed our plans.  "What do you have in mind?" he asked me.  "Fishin'.  I wanna go fishin'. and a joggin'. and eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the grass...and then maybe get some custard before heading home."  His eyes lit up like a kid in a candy store. 

So that's exactly we did.  And had the best date EVER.  Jim fished his heart away and not once did I have to worry about one of my kids falling in the pond and drowning.  I got to go jogging...w/o a stroller in tow...just me, my feet, and  the wind at my back urging me on. It was pure delight, I tell ya.  And did I mention how QUIET is was?  Ahhhhh...

I sat on the bank of the pond and watched the clouds turn pink.  I smacked the mosquito's as they landed on my bare skin and as 1 buzzed by my ear I couldn't help but think about its relatives in Africa who carried a horrible disease called Malaria.  As I chatted away about this and that I saw lots of fish jump out to eat their dinner...or maybe they just wanted to greet me hello.  Either way, I liked it.

 I never did eat my PB&J that I packed.  Hmmm...looks like we'll be having a family picnic outside tomorrow!  Oh how I love SPRING!

1 comment:

  1. Date day is always good, no matter where you are!
    Glad you had a great day, Kiddo!

    ReplyDelete